YAPC::NA 2006 — Andy Lester
Get out of Technical Debt Now!
- Creative Commons Attribution + Share Alike + Non-Commercial
- 2006-06-26 2:31 PM CST
- 42 Minutes, 1 Seconds
Technical debt is stuff that gets left behind during a project: postponed documentation, unwritten tests, unfixed "TODO" notes throughout your code, and other workarounds you promise to do to "later". Like financial debt, unpaid technical debt accrues interest until you go bankrupt. Software projects start out fun, but often accumulate technical debt that drains project resources and makes developers miserable.
In this session, you'll learn:
- How to work debt payments into projects, and show the value of this unseen work
- How to tell good debt from bad
- Where to start correcting a debt-ridden project
- Automated tools for measuring and tracking your debt level
- Habits to develop to keep debt to a minimum
- How to keep the quest for perfection from causing paralysis
- View now in Flash
- iPod-compatible H.264, 640x480, 143 MB
- PSP-compatible MPEG4, 368x208, 179 MB
- Audio+slides MPEG4, 640x480, 169 MB
Copyright 2006-2007 Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
(except the presentation content which is copyright the respective speakers)